Not Being Bilingual

This summer, I visited America, where majority of the people’s first language is English- just like me. However, throughout the entirety of my trip, I realized that many people spoke languages other than English, that is they were bi, or even trilingual. So, I inquired around and asked some people what aspect of their language (besides English) they valued. I found that for most of them, they associated their native language to their culture and heritage and that speaking it made them feel more connected to ‘home’ and their ancestors.

In my family, both my parents speak 5 languages each, however only taught me 1. I can understand the variety of languages my parents speak, but when it comes to actually speaking, my tongue just refuses to twist and I sounds like a 10-month old child trying to sing along to their favorite nursery rhyme. I always have regretted not speaking another language, since it makes you more well-rounded and educated as to the customs associated with the people of that language. Now, I don’t particularly feel disassociated from my culture just for the sheer fact that I can’t speak any of its languages. I do feel that language and culture are closely related, but I believe that there is so much more into play, such as were you were raised and the community you belong to. So, yes, I do wish that I was bilingual, however, I realize that English has become a lingua franca and it’s use as a modem of communication all throughout the world, even here in UAE, in India and in America. 

Therefore, it’s now on my bucket list to learn another language, but in the meantime, I’ll work on English and improving my diction and vocabulary to ace English HL :)))

Comments

Popular Posts